Friday, November 14, 2008

Post-Election Thoughts: On Race

My friend Anita asked:
"So I was reading some stuff in your blog earlier...and I was just wondering what your opinion is about a question I have. Do you think educated people like yourself in ANY way, shape or form vote Obama because he is partly black? And if so, to what degree?"

My Answer:

Interesting that you asked that, because I was thinking of writing a post-election analysis type blog about that. 

It’s complicated, but yes, I do think there is a little of that – only as in “the icing on the cake” or “cherry on top” kind of thing, though. Because I know what it would mean for so many African Americans in this country – how the simple fact of electing a black president shows the best of American democracy in action, and of the power of redemption for our society’s past sins. But by no means was it a primary reason – electing a woman would have had a similar power, but then, women aren’t minorities. Many countries in the world ~have~ elected women leaders, but would not be able to elect a member of a minority as a leader, so that made me proud of my country that we could and did. 

But I know I still would have voted for him if he were white. Because of the issues, because of his campaign and his temperament during the campaign, because of Sarah Palin being so clueless and scary and extreme in her views as the VP choice of an older president. I used to like McCain, and at the beginning of the election felt that I’d be happy if either won, but during the campaign that changed quite a bit, and especially after Palin. McCain started “playing to the base” of the GOP and that is a huge turn-off, because they are the antithesis of what I stand for.

So, yes, race was important, but not more important than the candidates’ stands on the issues and on my perception of their ability to be good leaders and bring the country together. With McCain/Palin, I saw more disenfranchisement of those who disagreed with him, like Bush saying you are either for us or for the terrorists. Stupid. With Obama, I saw someone who can actually listen to the other side and even find common ground (like all those times in the debates where he said he agreed with McCain) which is the sign of a strong and fair leader in my mind.

Obama’s tax plan, his health care plan, his focus on investing in technology and support of good science, his energy plan (ahem – not “drill, baby, drill”!), and all of it I liked better than McCain’s. I think McCain’s health care plan would have been disastrous. And all the anti-science crap that kept coming out of the McCain campaign pissed me off!

In other words, if their races were switched, I DEFINITELY, no question, would still have voted for Obama. I just think it’s nice, for the country, that he also happens to be black.

And more thoughts:

The fact of Obama's race is obviously important - but ESPECIALLY to African-Americans, and also to all minorities in America. There have been so many wonderful, touching stories that have come out because of his election, and so much hope welling up, that it feels the transformation has already begun. (see the links below for just a few of those stories) Parents honestly able to tell their children they can be ANYTHING they want when they grow up, even president, is one "side-effect" that we will feel the effects of for years to come, as the "Obama Generation" grows up. A young child of a Twitter friend said, on election night, "We've never had an African American president? That doesn't make any sense.… I hope Obama wins." That's "the Obama generation." Kids that will grow up and know a new "normal."

I don't think Obama's race helped him win, as some conservatives say. I think Obama's race, along with an incredible amount of groundwork by dedicated volunteers, helped a lot of people in this country put aside any lingering racism when they cast their ballot. And THAT, my friends... that is a victory worthy of celebration by everyone.


Related Links


Posted from Diigo. The rest of my favorite links are here.